Monday, March 2, 2009

but they came, and when they'd finally made it here

I'm not completely sure how I feel about this article, but it is worth the read. I'm in no rush to hang out with Darnielle, but I will admit I tend to go for days only listening to the mountain goats. He writes incredible depictions of almost any type of situation - the bible, history, relationships, etc...... That's about all I am going to say. His story is also fascinating.

By the time Darnielle graduated from high school, he was using heroin and later crystal meth. Eventually, a therapist told him he might find a salve for his own pain in helping others. He started taking classes to become a psychiatric-nurse technician and found work at Metropolitan State Hospital in Norwalk, California. “It’s not that complicated,” Darnielle says. “My favorite movies are gory horror films. I love Faulkner. I wanted to see the most painful things possible. Maybe it was to see people worse off than me, but a lot of it was just to see how many bullets I could eat.”


Revised 3/3/09 - I think this raises some important points. I'll leave it at that. For now.

No comments: