Saturday, March 14, 2009

Have Your Cake and Eat it Too


Today is officially Pi Day, although we celebrated at school yesterday. Before I started teaching I never would have believed an 8th grader could recite 300 digits of Pi. Yesterday afternoon "J" proved me wrong. I also didn't think I would ever "celebrate" Pi Day but, sure enough, I did.

As part of our "celebration" of Pi Day, the student in each advisory that memorized the most digits won the opportunity to throw a pie at their (favorite) teacher. At least that's what I am telling myself. I am a 32 year old male first year 6th and 8th grade teacher in an inner-city school who runs a pretty tight ship. I didn't stand a chance. And sure enough, I didn't even make it through the 6th grade. It was a humbling and hilarious moment. I can still smell the cheap whipped cream in my beard. Thank god for the teacher happy hour last night.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It could be a whole lot worse.

JRM said...

My first comment!!! Way too excited about that.